Saturday, December 16, 2006

Dung Quat Industrial Zone


It was so grateful that I went to Quang Ngai province, Central Vietnam this month. I first time saw Dung Quat Industrial Zone where workers were so busy to build many things at the same time: roads, seaport, and oil refinery. I have heard many unpleasant stories about this project. However, standing in front of a giant work, I was so impressive about this project and I have had a strong belief that the Vietnamese government has had a right move to use this project as a leverage for fostering the economy of Quang Ngai, in particular and the Central Vietnam, in general.

Yesterday, from Da Nang Airport, we took a car to Hoi An using a new road, built along the coast. Furama, Sandy Beach, Nam Hai and Palm Garden, the luxury resorts replaced old fishing villages. Few small and old houses staying lonely along the road reminded me about the fate of farmers and fishermen before the waves of globalization. Suddenly, I recalled Hue city, my home city where I visited in September. I have found that people did not have any jobs to do for making living there.

Traveling back and forth the Central Vietnam, I think that this part of Vietnam needs several big projects such as Dung Quat to create the first industrial working generation for Vietnam. If we do not have such kinds of project, we can not create jobs for young and industrious people in Central Vietnam. Without having heavy industry or modern technology, Central Vietnam would be never to overcome poverty. It is better late than never.
Click here to see my article posted on Saigontimes Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment